Gallery 11/07/95 - Sarajevo Bosnia

Saturday, July 11, 2015



During my time in Bosnia I went to this Gallery that touchingly portrayed the horror that happened in Srebrenica 20 years ago today. I went on my last day when I was back in Sarajevo after exploring the city for a while.

This Gallery is an emotional place, with distressing photographs and memories that will make you weep. Its not for everyone but if you want to learn more about the atrocities of 95 it is a must see.

"On July 12, 2012 the Memorial Gallery 11/07/95 was opened in Sarajevo’s city center. Its purpose is to preserve the memory and honor the suffering of the innocent masses murdered in Srebrenica – to date 8372 deaths have been confirmed.
The permanent exhibition provides documentary scenes of what was left of Srebrenica in the wake of this genocide. With photographs and videos of the “wall of death”, family portraits, scenes of survivors lives, the scattered and gathered remains of the victims, and offensive graffiti, the gallery portrays the impossible justice and the abolition of time split between Anne Frank and the women of Srebrenica.

Visitors of the Gallery 11/07/95 are not just passive observers of the exhibit – they are living witnesses to the horror and injustice.

Through a wide range of multimedia content – images, maps, audio and video materials, the Gallery aims to offer its visitors the documentary and artistic interpretation of the events that took place during July 1995.
"
I thought I should leave you with a few photos from this gallery, now these photos are not mine, they belong to Tarik Samarah (the photographer) and I just got them off the internet, but I thought as so many people will have the chance to go to beautiful Sarajevo, it might be in your interests to see a few photos here. 








I'm not sorry for the distressing content, it has to be seen. And although it may seem out of place on my blog, it is something so close to my heart that I had no choice but to share it. Especially today, the 11th July, marking 20 years exactly since the genocide.
Remember to keep the victims and their families in your thoughts today, as they are in mine everyday.

xxx

You Might Also Like

0 comments